The FM3 is an all-in-one amp modeler, effects processor and foot controller. It features our latest ARES amp modeling, a technology developed for the award-winning Axe-Fx III. Ares recreates the sound — and the equally important feel — of real tube amps, with 265+ models offering an impressive range of clean tones, elusive “edge of breakup”, and everything from warm, touch-sensitive overdrive to face-melting modern distortion.
The FM3 also includes the entire speaker cab impulse response (“IR”) collection from the Axe-Fx III, with a stunning 2,200+ “Factory” choices and 1,024 “User” locations to store custom sounds from free or commercial producers.
As a multi-effects unit, FM3 truly excels. It includes a superb selection of Fractal Audio’s state-of-the-art effect algorithms. All of the essentials and many exciting innovations are on board: dazzling drive pedals, dozens of delays, reverbs, compressors, EQs, phasers, flangers and other modulation effects, a looper, and much more.
The FM3 also features 4x4 USB Audio capability for both Mac and PC. This lets the FM3 double as the hub of a portable recording studio for playback, recording, re-amping, and more.
The FM3 is an extremely flexible and versatile foot controller with switch and layout capabilities based on our FC Controllers. Each footswitch has its own mini LCD display to show the function of the switch, plus a variable color LED ring which shows the category and status of the switch. Those who wish for more footswitches can use FASLINK™ to connect one or two FC-6 or FC-12 controllers. These integrate seamlessly with onboard switches and also offer additional switch/pedal jacks.
Whether you want the pure simplicity of a great guitar straight in to a classic amp, or to venture into totally unexplored sonic territory, the FM3 delivers the legendary Fractal Audio experience — and fits in into a backpack*
*backpack not included ;-)
- Durable steel chassis with protective endcaps designed to withstand the rigors of touring.
- Ultra-high-quality signal path for extremely low THD and noise floor.
- Ares Amp Modeling based on the Award-Winning Axe-Fx III
- Extensive collection of on-board speaker cab simulations, plus 1,024 memory locations for "User Cabs"
- Extremely powerful and flexible multi-FX processor capability based on Axe-Fx III
- Eight nameable “Scenes” per preset eliminate “tap dancing” and allow for quick sound changes
- Easy-to-read, precision full-screen tuner
- 4×4 USB audio capabilities allow for recording, playback, re-amping and more.
- Extremely user-friendly interface with dedicated hardware controls plus five "soft-knobs" with on-screen labels for both turn and push functions.
- Three onboard "SSS" foot switches are quiet and reliable, with no mechanical contacts to fail.
- FM3 uses the “FC” system of switches and layouts for extreme flexibility and versatility including 8+1 layouts, per-preset switches, and more.
- Two pedal jacks each allow connecting 1-2 external switches or 1 expression pedal like the Fractal Audio EV-1 or EV-2.
- Input 1 is ultra-low noise, with a 1/4” mono Instrument input featuring “Secret Sauce IV” for optimized signal from your guitar or bass.
- Output 1 is Stereo, with Balanced XLR jacks, plus a stereo headphone out.
- Stereo Input 2 and Stereo Output 2 can be used together as an FX loop, or individually as aux in/out for a range of flexible setups including 4CM, FRFR+Guitar Speaker backline, and more.
- FM3-Edit is a free software editor which brings extensive editing capabilities to your Mac or PC.
- Upgradeable firmware allows for constant improvement and innovation in the tradition of Fractal Audio Systems.
- And much more. See our main web site for additional details, downloads, product manuals, and more.
40 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Coming from an Axe FX 2, I wasn’t expecting a huge jump, but this thing is a notable difference on the newest firmware as of 2/13/21. The tone I got for the Recrifier in a lot of ways sounds better than the actual triple rectifier that I owned. The fact I can move it in front of me for easier edit features, I’d say the jump is like going from the 20th to 21st century in technology.
I finally decided to purchase a Fractal modeler. I used it in sessions the first day and for a solid month after that. It has proven to be an incredible tool that feels real. That’s the part that blew me away. I caught myself thinking there was a cabinet in the other room. So far it’s amazing and I’ve barely scratched the surface. Love it
I am upgrading from a Behringer V-Amp Pro, which I had gotten some real good tones out of. I'm happy I was able to get a very comparable metal sound out of it, since most rectifier models are flubby sounding when palm muting (Angle Severe and a few other models can hit the mark for me). The flexibility of this thing is pretty amazing. I was hesitant when deciding between this and the Axe-Fx III, but I'm only hitting 50% CPU most of the time, so it has plenty of horsepower for me. Another hesitation I had was the presumptive difficulty of using it, but as long as you read the manual you can program it just fine, I haven't even touched FM3 Edit on a computer yet.
This thing is pure magic. I can’t believe how good it sounds. It’s amazing.
My tone will NEVER be the same!! AMAZING quality of sound and signal....I am going to purchase another unit for our other guitar player because I cannot tolerate the inferior sound quality of amp models and effects coming from anything other than a Fractal Audio processor!! I am 150% won over by this unit Thanks so much Fractal Audio engineers!!
Really like the first use tone , and facility of understanding hoe to use it .
Outstanding product! The amp models alone are worth the price, as they are spot on and the tones are instantly recognizable fron professional recordings. Throw in the drives, modulation, pitch, delays and reverbs (the best I've used) and I'd put this unit up as the best value on the current market. I wasn't sure 3 switches would be enough but routing was intelligently done, and the use of colored surrounds on the switches lets you know at a glance if you are in preset, scene, or effect switching mode, and are brighter when effect is selected as opposed to bypassed in effect mode. Brilliant. I lose myself for hours exploring the capability of this unit, and feel the professional sound quality at this price point can't be beat.
As a long time tube amp player (orange, Marshall, Mesa, Carr, Fender, Vox...) I wanted to find a lighter weight solution. I have tried Helix, Kemper, and Axe fx 1 and 3 as well as the ax8 and fx8. I love the Axe fx family of gear. They are the only ones that handle the high gain mesa boogie thump along with edge of break up and rock ‘n’ roll tones and clean tones with the clarity and realism that I love. Don’t get me wrong, the other units are nice and they all sound great, but I have not found any other modeler that can touch the high gain Mesa sound and feel with such perfection. I am retiring my AX8 as the FM3 is the perfect replacement and at the lower weight! Thanks Fractal!!!
Never used a fractal product before, many reviews describe the steep learning-curve, but after a day of messing with it I find it is very easy to navigate and figure out. It sounds better than any other modeler I tried - by far. It works really well with my frfr speaker/system - no latency issues or "cracks/pops" in the DAW I use - runs quiet etc. I have zero complaints about the unit, looking forward to testing it out in different situations and playing with the seemingly endless combinations.